Stop doubting and believe. John 20:27
We, like Thomas, tend to doubt God in many things (His existence, love and providence) but most of all we doubt His mercy for us.
To have confidence in God’s mercy, we need to avoid three things and we need to do three things.
Three Things to Avoid:
1. Blindness to Sin – Why care about mercy if we don’t feel we’re in need of it.
2. Sin of Presumption - It may be defined as the condition of a soul which, because of a badly regulated reliance on God's mercy and power, hopes for salvation without doing anything to deserve it, or for pardon of his sins without repenting of them.
3. Sin of Despair – Lacking in trust to the mercy of God.
Three Things to Do:
1. Recognize our sins, brokenness, weaknesses and imperfections.
2. Keep trusting in the mercy of God.
3. Keep trying to grow in holiness and doing small things out of great love.
Confidence in God’s mercy
“Yes, I feel it; even though I had on my conscience all the sins that can be committed, I would go, my heart broken with sorrow, and throw myself into Jesus’ arms, for I know how much He loves the prodigal child who returns to Him.” – St. Therese
Feast of Divine Mercy
“I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially for poor sinners. In that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the fount of My mercy. That soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment.” – Diary 699
I encourage everyone to recite the Chaplet of Divine Mercy everyday.
“Say unceasingly the chaplet that I have taught you. Whoever will recite it will receive great mercy at the hour of death. Priest will recommend it to sinners as their last hope of salvation. Even if there were a sinner most hardened, if he were to recite this chaplet only once he would receive grace from my infinite mercy. I desire that the whole world know my infinite mercy. I desire to grant unimaginable graces to those souls who trust in my mercy.” – Diary 687