We believe that on this night Jesus established 2 profound realities.
- The Eucharist - in which he himself is truly present, body, blood, soul, and divinity.
- The priesthood - the priesthood of the new law.
This has been the consistent teaching of the Church from the earliest days. It is difficult to believe that a person can be truly present under such accidents of bread and wine. That takes faith, which of course is a gift of God.
Here are some things we can do in response to the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist that will encourage and strengthen our faith.
- Acknowledge Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.
- Reverence the real presence of Jesus when we come into the church. We can genuflect.
- We can genuflect on two knees when the Eucharist is exposed. This feeds our faith.
- We can spend time in adoration.